Sunday 13 December 2015

The end of 2015, the (re)start of a gaming blog

Evening all

So 2015 is almost finished, and Facebook decided to remind me quite nicely about this little blog I started about this time last year that I've not touched since... this time last year!!

It's been a busy year; I completed, submitted, revised and graduated with a PhD, had my boss get made redundant and faced the uncertainty on not having a job, and then got a new job and moved across the country. Busy busy stuff.

And during all that my writing time, and hobby time in general, very much suffered. Okay, in honesty my hobby time suffered not just because of these things but also a number of other factors.

My own dissatisfaction with Warhammer 40k, and 30K, and Games Workshop (GW) in general, forced me away from GW-based games. The End Time was good and piqued my curiosity for a short while, but my enthusiasm dwindled as the uncertainty behind the End Times, and the future of WFB, increased. Age of Sigmar (AoS) had the same effect, but it was a case of too-much too-fast coupled with the move, new job, etc...

There were also some issue centered about my old gaming club too. Nothing to do with the people, the guys are still as sound as they ever will be and I love them all for the great times I've had down there. But they, like me, found themselves drifting away from model-based games and ended up playing a lot of Magic: The Gathering. Great game, and one I enjoy, but I wasn't in the mood for it at the time and I ended splashing what little expendable income I had on a number of different games systems (Infinity, Batman, Dropzone Commander) without settling on any one or two.

Fast forward two months and I found myself all moved in in Cambridge looking for a new club.

As luck would have it, my arrival coincided with a few of the local players buying into Infinity (US Ariadna release helped insurmountably) and I've joined in with a pretty active, albeit young, Infinity community.

A recent trip to Dragonmeet, and a great meeting with WordForge games (who many of you may know from their Kickstarter "The Devils Run: Route 666"), has reignited my passion for writing and hobby, and so I thought I would try and close out 2015 by revisiting my blog.

I'm a little older now, and a lot more experienced (in writing, in hobby and life in general). No longer the idyllic student that things they know better, I'm going to refocus my blog this time more on a review on what I already have; my modelling, my gaming, my affiliations with Word Forge and how and why I'm building my armies (rather than spouting my uninformed opinions!)

A number of new projects are waiting in the wings from across a number of games - Dropzone, Batman, Infinity, Warhammer 30k, Warhammer 40k, Age of Sigmar, Guildball, Devil's Run: Route 666...
I'll use this space as a forum to share what I'm doing, talk about why and how, and just generally relax and enjoy hobby. Because that's what it's supposed to be - an enjoyable hobby!

Till next time everyone

Medge

No comments:

Post a Comment